Dual-Use Technology and Artificial Intelligence
Listen in on this fireside chat with Doug Drakeley, Industry Outreach at the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center and Ellen Chang, Dual-Use Technologist, Investor, and Accelerator with BMNT and Syndicate 708 as they talk over how organizations like DIU and JAIC are creating a whole new investment thesis.
What you’ll find out
- How will JAIC’s new program, Tradewind, open up opportunities for startups and dual-use companies?
- How different DoD institutions can foster an environment where people and startups can iterate quickly?
- How does one enact AI war gaming, and how the JAIC can play a role in it?
- “They need to design for their grandmother, not design for the engineers. Because even technology aside, the decision maker needs to understand, this is on the commercial side now, the decision maker of a company that might actually buy a startup’s capability, needs to understand who you’re selling to. If you’re selling to the engineer, you may or may not get to the point where you’re selling to the decision maker who is cutting the check.” — Ellen Chang, BMNT
- “We’ve got an 18 year old person coming into the military who has that level of life experience, and we’re going to put them in a very dangerous, risky environment. We’ve got to give them all the tools they need to be successful. They can’t be thinking ‘how do I code a bunch of stuff to accomplish my mission?” — Doug Drakeley, DoD Joint Artificial Intelligence Center
- “There is no easy button for human decision making today, right? You can team expert systems, or machine learning systems with humans and get incredible outcomes today, but whether or not I can press a button and turn my workload over to AI — we’re so far away from that.” — Doug Drakeley, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center
Who you’ll hear from
Douglas Drakeley - Industry Outreach Officer - DoD Joint Artificial Intelligence Center | LinkedIn
Industry Outreach Officer, JAIC, April 2019 to presentDirector of Intelligence, HQ Air Force Reserve Command - 2016 …
Ellen Chang - Director, Naval Portfolio - BMNT | LinkedIn
I'm a seasoned strategy and operating executive who loves the challenge of figuring out new markets. At present, I am…
About Austin Startup Week
Started in 2011, Austin Startup Week is a celebration and showcase of everything entrepreneurial in Austin. Each year, we bring entrepreneurs, local leaders, and friends together to connect, collaborate and grow through our educational tracks, mentor office hours, startup showcases, and networking mixers.
About Capital Factory
Capital Factory is the center of gravity for entrepreneurs in Texas, the number one startup state in the U.S. Thousands of entrepreneurs, programmers and designers gather day and night, in-person and online for meetups, classes and coworking. With boots on the ground in Austin, Dallas and Houston, we meet the best entrepreneurs in Texas and introduce them to their first investors, employees, mentors and customers. According to Pitchbook, Capital Factory has been the most active investor in Texas since 2010.