Fundraising for Texas Startups in 2020
In this session, partners from the largest and most active venture capital firms in Austin converge to discuss recent trends in the Texas venture market. Featuring Silverton Partners, S3 Ventures, LiveOak Venture Partners, Next Coast Ventures and True Wealth Ventures.
What you’ll find out
- What are the recent trends firms are seeing in the Texas venture market?
- How are these trends impacting investor’s approaches to investing?
- Who are the most active venture capital firms in Austin?
- “Most of our portfolio companies were very deliberate and cautious at the beginning [of COVID]. It varies across what industries they’re focused on. I think the consumer stuff probably was more cautious than some of the enterprise stuff that has more recurring based revenue streams. I think they all made very hard decisions and most, hopefully all of them come through it stronger as a result of that.” — Thomas Ball, Next Coast Ventures
- “To get that comfort level that you are really starting to build rapport because it’s so important because you’re going to be working together in the up times and the down times. With a company that can actual work well together you can manage conflict, etc. You really need to spend a lot of time together and you aren’t doing that physically. So now we engage in Zoom a lot sooner.” — Kerry Rupp, True Wealth Ventures
- “The best way to get my intro is a warm intro, somebody that knows us, that’s the easiest way. And cold emails, that’s why I love that you Charlie funded a company with a cold email.” — Mike Dodd, Silverton Partners
- “All their investments are showcased on their portfolio, just reach out on LinkedIn and go talk to the entrepreneurs they’ve backed before to get a sense of how they are to work with.” — Krishna Srinivasan, LiveOak Venture Partners
Who you’ll hear from
Kerry Rupp - General Partner - True Wealth Ventures | LinkedIn
Kerry Rupp is General Partner at True Wealth Ventures, an early-stage VC fund investing in women-led businesses in…
Mike Dodd - General Partner - Silverton Partners | LinkedIn
Mike Dodd is a general partner at Silverton Partners focusing on investing in early stage software and web-enabled…
Charlie Plauche - Partner - S3 Ventures | LinkedIn
S3 Ventures is an early stage venture capital firm in Austin, TX with $500 million under management. S3's focus is…
Krishna Srinivasan - Founding Partner - LiveOak Venture Partners | LinkedIn
Proven technology investor with a focus on early stage opportunities in tech and tech enabled services Krishna…
Thomas Ball - Co-Founder & Managing Director - Next Coast Ventures | LinkedIn
View Thomas Ball's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. Thomas has 31 jobs listed on their…
About Austin Startup Week
Started in 2011, Austin Startup Week is a celebration and showcase of everything entrepreneurial in Austin. Each year, we bring entrepreneurs, local leaders, and friends together to connect, collaborate and grow through our educational tracks, mentor office hours, startup showcases, and networking mixers.
About Capital Factory
Capital Factory is the center of gravity for entrepreneurs in Texas, the number one startup state in the U.S. Thousands of entrepreneurs, programmers and designers gather day and night, in-person and online for meetups, classes and coworking. With boots on the ground in Austin, Dallas and Houston, we meet the best entrepreneurs in Texas and introduce them to their first investors, employees, mentors and customers. According to Pitchbook, Capital Factory has been the most active investor in Texas since 2010.